Menu

Thursday, September 4, 2014

WHAT IS THE MAGIC WORD!? The Hunt For SHAZAM!

SHAZAM!

Big Red Cheese is finally getting some love in the big screen! After years of waiting, Shazam is finally in the works and set to be distributed Warner Brothers and New Line Cinema.


The first confirmed casting was from wrestler-turned-actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in his Twitter. "Kneel at his feet or get crushed by his boot" My honor to become... #BlackAdam #TheAntiHero #DCComics, this was tweet made by the actor that made the internet (mostly fanboys) go berserk. I mean, seriously, he looks like Black Adam! 

While Variety has recently said that writer Darren Lemke is on the scriptwriting duties for Shazam. Now everyone prays that he channel his inner good scriptwriting skills that he displayed with Jack The Giant Slayer and not the other of his talent that he has shown in Shrek Forever After.

With that said, it's only normal for a fanboy (like me) to speculate like crazy. Now I'm not the biggest Shazam fan out there, but I think that so far the filmmakers share my general and legit knowledge about the character. With New Line President Toby Emmerich quoted that the film will have a sense of fun and a sense of humor. But the stakes have to be real.

Here we will discuss 2 things:
  1. What should be the tone of the film?
  2. Who should play Shazam?

The Tone

I'll keep this one short, simple and to-the-point. 


Billy Batson is only 10-years old. He's maybe a kid that has been going through bad times for as long as he remembers, but never was he a bad kid. He is a young boy with the golden heart and most likely one of, if not, the most respectful, kind and loving kid you'll ever see. These are the qualities that The Wizard saw as to why he was chosen as the new Shazam. 

If this film does take place in the DC Cinematic Universe, it is only vital that he lives in a Post-Metropolis Invasion world. As suggested by the animated series and animated movies, Billy Batson is a fan of superheroes, especially Superman. If anything, he wanted to be like Superman. He lives in a world of divisive perception towards the Man Of Steel, and he believes that he is a hero that was just trying to do his job. Billy relates to the negativity of the people towards Superman, as he has been doing good deeds all his life and yet he's always been constantly being picked on. 

To see an aggressive and violent world through an innocent child's eyes is something that is rarely explored in any superhero movies. Shazam has the opportunity to be the first of its kind, With right balance of a kid-family friendly movie to a larger than life action-adventure, we might just have DC's best superhero movie. 

Seriously, this is a character that has out shined Superman in some point of time. It's not impossible for that to happen again. 


The Captain


I know he's no longer named Captain Marvel (you can thank Marvel for that), but I'll just leave that heading the way it is just for the sake of it. 

There are many actors out there that has a potential to capture the essence of the character and portray it flawlessly at the big screen. Here are some of the fan favorites or fan picks to play Shazam..

1) Brandon Molale


I am being honest with you, I've barely seen this guy in TV. But he has the built, the looks and he's even the same age as Dwayne Johnson so, why not?


2) Patrick Warburton 


Most of you might remember him as The Tick, and that is saying a lot why he should play Shazam. Though his age might be a big question mark to the casting department. 

3) Owain Yeoman 


I mostly know him as Wayne Rigsby from The Mentalist. As far as I've seen from him, he's pretty good at what he does. Even if he was a one-sided in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, it would be fun to see him play the titular character. 


4) Kellan Lutz

People might always remember him as a lifeless character in the Twilight Saga or that really crappy Hercules kid from The Legend Of Hercules, but believe me when I say this. Give him some good material and the director to show him the right direction and he has a potential to carry out a franchise. Have you seen The Expendables III? He was the (second) best actor of the bunch, Mel Gibson the first. 

5) Mark Whalberg

Please stay with me on this. I know this one's for laughs, but trust me I have an idea. I know he's a fun actor. Say what you want about Transformers: Age Of Extinction (I said it was bad, and I don't care if you don't agree with me), but he knows how to have fun with his roles, regardless of how bad these movies are. Just think of him from Pain & Gain, put him on a Shazam suit, I rest my case.

6) John Cena


Now this one's really for laughs. lol But think about it..






No comments:

Post a Comment

More News Around The Net