Menu

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes MOVIE REVIEW


Cause talking apes ain't no monkey business.


So it's been a while since we had our last Apes film. While I do agree that MOST of them are great films, the hype of this movie didn't get me too excited to revisit the old movies or even follow every single trailer this movie had. Maybe it's just me who's not a big fan of the franchise, maybe because the franchise as a whole isn't my cup of tea. So by now, you should figure out that this review is coming from someone who is not a big Apes fan. 

Just to let you guys know, I've seen some Apes movies. The first movie, I've seen a long, long long, time ago and I only remember fractions of it. The second I saw was actually Tim Burton's reboot, it was the first Apes film I saw ever. Thankfully I don't remember much about that movie, I remember a scene where Mark Whalberg walks into the Abraham Lincoln statue who's face is replaced with an ape's, then that's about it. The last one, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, however, is undeniably a crafted masterpiece, probably one of my favorite movies of that year. So move on to this latest one, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, what did I think of it? Let me break it down for you. 

The film picks about ten years after the spreading of the Simian Virus or ALZ-113 which occurred during the last moments of the previous film. Since then, a line in the sand was drawn between Ceasar's community of freed apes and the surviving humans, which included; Malcolm (Jason Clarke), Dreyfus (Gary Oldman), Ellie (Keri Russell), Alexander (Kodi Smith-McPhee|) among others. 

Like the previous film, this one takes it's time to establish every character that should feel essential to us and the story that would circulate this entire movie. But unlike the previous one, this had to juggle up between the perspective of the apes and the humans, both tries to keep peace and order but certain acts of paranoia from both parties might put these two into war, so it would determine who is the greater and lesser being. 

Andy Serkis returns as our beloved Mo-cap CG Ceasar, who as the film progresses grows a strong connection with Malcolm. At heart both are similar characters and their connection is just too good to be put into words, I mean seriously, go see the movie now, or at least after reading my review.

I'm just gonna get this down right away because as you can tell by now, I'm lost for words for this movie, it is that great. I know I'm watching and invested on an Apes film when I badly need to pee and I've been holding for more that two-hours or even longer. The movie doesn't even feel like it's two-hours long, because you don't get bored by the fact that this movie never runs out of tensions. Plus when it all finally goes down, IT GOES DOWN. Ape versus ape fight, apes charging while riding horses and using two machine guns, humans fighting back with good old machine guns, I mean seriously, what more do you want?

The entire cast is great, though some are underplayed, all are great. The film looks beautiful. From the revealing shots, the CG mo-cap apes, visually this film is flawless, kudos to Director Matt Reeves, CG masters Weta Digital and the rest of the crew. 

Lastly, I have to be honest, this is like the second time I teared up on a summer blockbuster this year. There's just this scene that will punch you right into your heart and it gets you until every every drop of tear falls down into your eye. Seriously, you have to see it to believe it. 

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes is a living proof why there's still hope for reboots. It is THE BEST SCI-FI movie so far, and this one is quite possibly hard to surpass. With it's relevant theme and ground breaking visuals, this has definitely improved from it's predecessor. But I'm pretty sure George Taylor would damn this movie somewhere. 


(+)

Breath-taking storySpectacular castGround breaking visualsHyper realistic CG apesThat climax!

(-)

A few forced expositionsSome nit-pick that I just did above that would probably won't even matter cause this movie is AWESOME!


 Score: A+


Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes in theaters now!


Subscribe to my blog

Follow me on Twitter

Check me out on Moviepilot

No comments:

Post a Comment

More News Around The Net